By Gunnar Eliasson
The fundamental topic of this publication is to enquire the macroeconomic value of the "cloud" of technological spillovers that surrounds complicated business construction: In what methods do technological suggestions unfold and give a contribution to financial development? What regulations should be constructed to maximise the commercial strength of techniques? those subject matters are quite well timed within the context of worldwide financial predicament, government-sponsored stimulus applications, and the continuing evolution from manufacturing-based to knowledge-based economies. To discover those concerns extensive, Gunnar Eliasson makes a speciality of a close case examine of the improvement of Saab’s army plane, the JAS 39 Gripen system—a undertaking that includes complex technological strategies, a fancy community of providers, public-private area collaboration, and either army and advertisement functions. The adventure within the plane is usually in comparison with spillover results in telephony, pcs, and scientific applied sciences. The research emphasizes the position of purchaser competence in elevating the standard of innovation provide, and of entrepreneurship and industrially powerfuble enterprise capital for commercializing spillovers. Eliasson integrates micro-econometrics and case examine research with macroeconomics, innovation examine tools, and enterprise management concept to degree the consequences of expertise spillovers and generate an excellent empirical origin for coverage research. specifically, he considers:
- the function of powerfuble public (government) procurement as a brand new call for coverage to aid innovation supply
- the emergence of the complex companies as "technical university," the place continuous studying happens and entrepreneurship between clients and different stakeholders is encouraged
- issues of highbrow estate rights and the social price of technological innovations
- the implications for strategic enterprise perform and public policy
The result's a booklet that might attract a extensive spectrum of lecturers, leaders, and policymakers drawn to the dynamics of innovation offer, commercialization of applied sciences and fiscal growth.
Read or Download Advanced Public Procurement as Industrial Policy: The Aircraft Industry as a Technical University PDF
Best operations research books
This e-book offers types and algorithms for complicated scheduling difficulties. in addition to resource-constrained undertaking scheduling issues of purposes additionally job-shop issues of versatile machines, transportation or constrained buffers are mentioned. Discrete optimization tools like linear and integer programming, constraint propagation recommendations, shortest direction and community move algorithms, branch-and-bound equipment, neighborhood seek and genetic algorithms, and dynamic programming are offered.
Commercial optimization lies at the crossroads among arithmetic, desktop technological know-how, engineering and administration. This e-book provides those fields in interdependence as a talk among theoretical elements of arithmetic and machine technological know-how and the mathematical box of optimization conception at a realistic point.
When you consider that its inception twenty years in the past the idea of fuzzy units has complicated in quite a few methods and in lots of disciplines. functions of this conception are available in synthetic intelligence, computing device technology, keep an eye on engineering, selection concept, professional platforms, common sense, administration technological know-how, operations learn, development attractiveness, robotics and others.
The writer exhibits that modelling the doubtful money circulation dynamics of an funding venture merits cautious realization in genuine thoughts valuation. targeting the case of commodity cost uncertainty, a extensive empirical research finds that, opposite to universal assumptions, costs are usually non-stationary and show non-normally allotted returns.
- Advanced Planning in Fresh Food Industries: Integrating Shelf Life into Production Planning (Contributions to Management Science)
- Multi-criteria Decision Making Methods: A Comparative Study
- Uncertainty Modeling and Analysis in Engineering and the Sciences
- Cost-Benefit Analysis and the Theory of Fuzzy Decisions: Fuzzy Value Theory
- Operational Excellence: A Concise Guide to Basic Concepts and Their Application
- The Marketing of Technology Intensive Products and Services: Driving Innovations for Non-Marketers
Extra info for Advanced Public Procurement as Industrial Policy: The Aircraft Industry as a Technical University
This means that availability of the Gripen aircraft is very high and downtime very low compared to all competitor aircraft. 2. 4). The Gripen development, however, also exhibits several fancy spillovers, and the most spectacular spillover, Ericsson mobile telephony, also illustrates the difficult problem of isolating the spillovers from the Gripen project from those of earlier military aircraft development. Ericsson happened to be the only telephone systems and equipment producer in the world (possibly including also Nokia) to have an in-house military radio technology in the early 1980s.
What do spillovers look like? The case presentations. 4. How are economically valuable spillovers identified, captured, and commercialized (Competence bloc theory). 5. What are the implications for business practice and policy and for government policy of public procurement? 4 The Questions Raised 7 The analysis of positive externalities or spillovers has a long history in economics, beginning with the British economist Alfred Marshall (1890), the authority at the time on the then modern Walrasian (neoclassical) economic model.
3. The intensive use of electronics and computing and communications technology in the JAS 39 Gripen compared to previous combat aircraft generations has not only raised the quality of the spillover flow and its intensity, but also changed the character of the spillover flows, from the transfer of specific and well-defined 20 1 On the Cloud of Technology that Surrounds Advanced Production applications to generic technologies and industrial practices and experience (for instance the distributed and integrated production technology mentioned above).
Advanced Public Procurement as Industrial Policy: The Aircraft Industry as a Technical University by Gunnar Eliasson