By Elizabeth Warnock Fernea
A pleasant, well-written, and drastically informative ethnographic learn, this is often an account of Fernea's two-year remain in a tiny rural village in Iraq, the place she assumed the gown and sheltered lifetime of a harem girl.
Read Online or Download Guests of the Sheik: An Ethnography of an Iraqi Village PDF
Similar nonfiction books
Going a ways past the normal imagery of Rasta—ganja, reggae, and dreadlocks—this cultural heritage bargains an uncensored imaginative and prescient of a circulate with complicated roots and the outstanding trip of a guy who taught an enslaved humans the right way to be proud and impose their tradition at the international. within the Nineteen Twenties Leonard Percival Howell and the 1st Rastas had a revelation about the divinity of Haile Selassie, king of Ethiopia, that demonstrated the imaginative and prescient for the preferred mystical move of the twentieth century, Rastafarianism.
It's 2013, and the farm animal circulate is selecting up steam on a daily basis. we have now the chance to enhance one of many nice motives of our time and guard defenseless participants from confinement and cruelty.
In Uncaged, 30 prime activists, together with Paul Shapiro, Peter Singer, and Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, supply their hard-won insights on potent farm animal advocacy. no matter if you're an aspiring or pro activist, "Uncaged" offers an abundance of knowledge and idea that can assist you have a huge impact for cattle.
Who killed the economic system?
A page-turning, true-crime exposé of the subprime salesmen and Wall highway alchemists who produced the largest monetary scandal in American heritage
“It's demanding to have a to blame moral sense should you don't have a judgment of right and wrong. whatever that benefited creation - that benefited me and benefited my pockets – I'd do it. ”
The revenues strength at Ameriquest loan took this philosophy to center. They watched the Hollywood white-collar-crime flick “Boiler Room” as a coaching tape, learning find out how to pitch overpriced bargains to unsuspecting property owners. They discovered how you can forge signatures on loan bureaucracy and create pretend files in “cut-and-paste” operations they dubbed “The Lab” or “The artwork division. ”
In this attractive narrative, award-winning reporter Michael W. Hudson finds the tale of the increase and fall of the subprime loan company by way of chronicling the increase and fall of 2 company empires: Ameriquest and Lehman Brothers. because the largest subprime lender and Wall Street's largest buyer of subprime, Ameriquest and Lehman did greater than the other associations to create the feeding frenzy that emboldened loan professionals to flood the country with high-risk, high-profit domestic loans.
It's a story populated by way of a impressive solid of the characters: a shadowy billionaire who created the subprime out of the ashes of the Eighties S&L scandal; Wall highway executives with an insatiable wish for product; suffering householders ensnared within the so much inventive of traps; legal professionals and investigators who attempted to show the fraud; politicians and bureaucrats who became a blind eye; and, such a lot of all, the drug-snorting, high-living salesman who inform all concerning the funds they made, the lies they informed, the offers they closed.
Provocative and gripping, The Monster is a searing exposé of the bottom-feeding fraud and top-down greed that fueled the monetary cave in.
During this absolutely revised, improved, and up-to-date variation of her bestselling tenting advisor, Jayne Seagrave lays the foundation for someone making plans to get out of the town and discover the easiest that nature has to provide. no matter if you're camping out with youngsters, vacationing in an RV, or trying to find a convenience improve, camping out in British Columbia and the Yukon deals over one hundred fifty probabilities for campers of all ages and adventure point.
- The Ultimate Guide to Android Tablets
- Psycho Thrillers: Cinematic Explorations of the Mysteries of the Mind
- Crossworld: One Man's Journey into America's Crossword Obsession
- The Coat Route: Craft, Luxury & Obsession on the Trail of a $50,000 Coat
Additional resources for Guests of the Sheik: An Ethnography of an Iraqi Village
10. a kangaroo a peacock a crocodile ahorse a pig We'll do the first one for you and then you do the rest. 94 95 Item Six is a KANGAROO SIX is STICKS Imagine that you're in a forest and a kangaroo is trying to steal your stick. You're holding onto the stick as hard as you can but the kangaroo goes hopping off and takes you with him! 96 97 Item Seven is a PEACOCK SEVEN is HEAVEN Write or draw a silly story about a peacock in heaven. 98 99 Item Eight is a CROCODILE EIGHT is GATE Write or draw a silly story about a crocodile and a gate.
2. 3. 4. 5. rocks sand hair paperclips toothbrush Now we'll make up a silly story about all five items and put them on memory peg number One which is DRUM. You wake up in the morning and see that your hair is standing on end and there's a drum full of sand balancing on top of your hair and the sand is pouring all over you. You are wearing paperclips for earrings and each paperclip has a toothbrush hanging off it Then a big rock comes out of the drum and dongs you on the head! This method allows you to attach several items to each memory peg.
Etc. This old man, he played five, He played knick knack on my hive, With a knick knack.. etc. This old man, he played six, He played knick knack on my sticks, With a knick knack.. etc. 70 71 In the weeks that followed, Adam and Jasmine amazed their friends and family with their new way of remembering. They could remember the whole weekly programme for the class, the entire recipe for a chocolate cake, the things that their Dad had to do at work and the names of ten of the headmaster's relatives!
Guests of the Sheik: An Ethnography of an Iraqi Village by Elizabeth Warnock Fernea