By U. Mukherjee
Postcolonial Environments examines the connection among modern environmental crises and tradition by means of delivering a chain of provocative readings of key Indian novels in English, making an unique and critical contribution to the rising theories of 'green postcolonialism'.
Read or Download Postcolonial Environments: Nature, Culture and the Contemporary Indian Novel in English PDF
Best environmental science books
A finished compilation fascinated by a number of glossy tools getting used around the world to enhance soil and rock stipulations aiding new and remedial development. floor water reducing and drainage recommendations, soil compaction, excavation help equipment, permeation and jet grouting are one of many subject matters mentioned.
Environmental matters frequently span lengthy sessions of time, far-flung parts, and labyrinthine layers of complexity. In Greening via IT, invoice Tomlinson investigates how the instruments and methods of knowledge know-how (IT) might help us take on environmental difficulties at such monstrous scales. Tomlinson describes theoretical, technological, and social elements of a transforming into interdisciplinary method of sustainability, "Green IT," providing either a human-centered framework for realizing eco-friendly IT structures and particular examples and case experiences of eco-friendly IT in motion.
How will worldwide environmental swap impact the panorama and our interplay with it? except weather swap, there are different very important catalysts of panorama swap, together with reduction, hydroclimate and runoff, sea point adaptations and human job. This quantity summarizes the state of the art in regards to the geomorphic implications of world environmental switch, examining such results on lakes, rivers, coasts, reefs, rainforests, savannas, deserts, glacial positive aspects, and mountains.
- Oil, water and climate: an introduction
- Rewilding North America: A Vision For Conservation In The 21St Century
- Thailand at the Margins: Internationalization of the State and the Transformation of Labour
- The Veiled Species of Hebeloma in the Western United States
- Introduction to Systems Ecology
- Biological Phosphate Removal from Wastewaters. Proceedings of an IAWPRC Specialized Conference held in Rome, Italy, 28–30 September, 1987
Extra resources for Postcolonial Environments: Nature, Culture and the Contemporary Indian Novel in English
Time noted that some ‘radicals’ thought that the whole thing was engineered by US senators to distract the public from the more pressing issues of the Vietnam War and racism. Others observed that ‘Earth Day’ coincided with Lenin’s birthday and muttered darkly that it was a communist conspiracy. A Harris poll indicated that 54 per cent of Americans were willing to pay more taxes to control environmental pollution, but the Interior Secretary Walter Hickel chose Earth Day to announce the building of a hot oil pipeline from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez in Alaska, thereby endangering the ecosystem of an area of the Alaskan tundra.
Deep ecology’s compromised anti-anthropocentrism and idealism fatally wounds its proposed reformatory practices. In addition to first-worldism and idealism, ‘deep ecology’ also contains a deeply problematic conceptualization of environment itself. As Leopold’s writings show, environment is usually conflated with nature, and in this way of thinking is often a particular vision of nature – the ever-shrinking wilderness. Moreover, almost by definition, this ‘nature’ has room only for the solitary or at best, the minority figure of the pioneer-poet-observer.
127) In a series of wide-ranging analyses taking in the first Gulf War, ‘eco’tourism in the Pacific islands and World Bank policies, Ross further shows how the governments of Europe and especially the United States use military and political power to back transnational companies and establish new forms of imperialism across a supposedly de-colonized world. Ross’s work showed that by the final decade of the twentieth century, studies, analyses and theories of the environment or ecology could no longer stay anchored to European or north American histories and realities.
Postcolonial Environments: Nature, Culture and the Contemporary Indian Novel in English by U. Mukherjee